Africa water and sanitation week - Advancing cooperation in transboundary aquifers: an innovative approach in the Senegalo-Mauritanian Aquifer Basin
Thursday 25 November 2021
The session will consist in a series of presentations, including:
- The set-up of the Regional Working Group as preliminary mechanism for cooperation between the four countries, and the validation of its reinforced mandate by the ministerial declaration in September 2021;
- The preliminary assessment of groundwater resources, legal/institutional framework and capacity needs;
- The definition of a common vision and a joint project for the next 5 years, to result in a sustainable mechanism of concerted management;
- The combined role of the Gambia river basin organisation (OMVG) and Senegal river basin organisation (OMVS) as a unique institutional setting in supporting groundwater transboundary cooperation and integrated water resources management (IWRM);
- The opportunities for contributing to the joint project.
Some time will be secured for Questions & Answers after the presentations.