Women in Hydro-diplomacy
In the 21st century, women’s reflections and contributions to peace are poorly taken in decision making and negotiations. Yet in a world experiencing polycrisis, it is crucial to have more women in leadership and decision-making positions in water diplomacy and transboundary water cooperation settings, that aspire to peace building.
The role for women in water-peace activities is increasingly circumscribed, even in contexts where advances were made over the past decades. Based on this context, the Geneva Water Hub is pushing for more effective dialogue by facilitating a greater role for women in water diplomacy, for example through the Women in Water Diplomacy in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Region Initiative, partnering with Global Water Partnership (GWP-Med).
Below, you can access past event information related to the Women in Water Diplomacy in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Region Initiative.
- 18 October 2022 – Cairo Water Week – Empowering Women in Water Diplomacy in the MENA: moving into action
- 25 October 2021 – Cairo Water Week – Action for Empowering Women in Water Diplomacy in the MENA region
- 28 September 2021 – UNECE MoP 9 Side Event - Women, Water and Peace
- 15 March 2021 – Online – Launching of the Comparative Study of Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco and Palestine
- 22 October 2020 – Cairo Water Week – Strengthening the role of women in water diplomacy in the Middle East and North Africa (Region)
Below is a video supporting our activities on the topic of 2021 World Water Day.
The Geneva Water Hub is also supporting the Adaptation at Altitude programme which seeks to increase the resilience and adaptive capacity of mountain communities and ecosystems to climate change. In this context, this programme supports women-led initiatives in the challenges of adaptation to climate change in mountain regions.
Below, you can access past event information related to the Adaptation at Altitude programme and women.